ArcGIS Data Appliance Quick Start Guide #
Windows Server 2022 #
- One 1U, 2U, or 4U ArcGIS Data Appliance.
- Data Collection hard disk drives (Quantity depends on which collections were purchased)
- Rackmount Rail Kit
- Two AC power cords
Step 1 – Unpack the components
The ArcGIS Data Appliance is shipped with its hard drives installed. Operating system SSDs or database SSDs are also shipped installed. Carefully remove the ArcGIS Data Appliance from its shipping box. It is recommended that two people remove the ArcGIS Data Appliance from its shipping box.
Step 2 – Install the Rackmount Kit
A rackmount rail kit is included with ArcGIS Data Appliance. Refer to the documentation shipped with the rackmount rail kit. Make sure to remove the hard disk drives from the system before attempting to install the ArcGIS Data Appliance into a rack. Additional information can be found at: https://www.arxys.com/docs/arcgis-data-appliance-2024-4u-administrator-guide/#23-toc-title and https://www.arxys.com/docs/arcgis-data-appliance-2024-administrator-guide/#23-toc-title
Step 3 – Cabling the ArcGIS Data Appliance
The ArcGIS Data Appliance requires two AC power sources. Connect both power cords. Connect a monitor to the VGA port. Connect a keyboard and mouse to any available USB port. Network connectivity is required during the operation of the ArcGIS Data Appliance. Plug in at least one Ethernet cable into an Ethernet port of the ArcGIS Data Appliance. A network cable should also be connected to the management port for later usage. For additional details see https://www.arxys.com/docs/arcgis-data-appliance-2024-4u-administrator-guide/#19-toc-title and https://www.arxys.com/docs/arcgis-data-appliance-2024-administrator-guide/#19-toc-title
Step 4 – Power on the server
To power on the ArcGIS Data Appliance press the power button.
The ArcGIS Data Appliance is delivered with the Microsoft® Windows® Server 2022 operating system. The Windows operating system requires an initial configuration when used for the first time.
When ArcGIS Data Appliance is first powered the Microsoft® Windows® Server 2022 will begin booting. Please do not interrupt or power off ArcGIS Data Appliance during this process. ArcGIS Data Appliance may automatically reboot as the final configuration is applied to the system.
Step 5 – Windows® 2022 Server Setup
Once the ArcGIS Data Appliance completely boots, follow the onscreen instructions to complete the configuration Windows® 2022 Server.
- Select the correct country/region, preferred app language, and keyboard layout that are appropriate. Click Next to continue.
- The product key is found on the Microsoft® Certificate of Authenticity (COA) label located on the front left corner of the appliance. Similar to the removable material commonly found on lottery tickets or prize vouchers, this concealment panel is designed to protect the consumer’s product key from being obtained and used by unauthorized individuals. Carefully scratch off the concealment coating with a fingernail or coin to reveal the entire product key. See https://www.arxys.com/docs/arcgis-data-appliance-2024-administrator-guide/#22-toc-title and https://www.arxys.com/docs/arcgis-data-appliance-2024-4u-administrator-guide/#22-toc-title
Arxys is unable to recover or provide an alternate product key should the COA be damaged.
- Review and accept the Microsoft® Software License Terms and click Accept.
- Follow the instructions to set the administrative password for the appliance. Please note that the appliance ships without an administrative password. The password set here will create the only set of credentials that can be used to log into the appliance. Arxys is unable to reset this account.
Step 6 – Logging into the ArcGIS Data Appliance
Follow the onscreen instructions to log in using the password set in step 5.4
Step 7 – Windows® Server 2022 Updates
The ArcGIS Data Appliance ships with the Windows® Server 2022 operating appliance. Microsoft® routinely release updates and patches to improve stability and security. Any updates released after the ArcGIS Data Appliance has shipped will need to be applied.
Step 8 – ArcGIS Data Appliance Set up
Documentation to set up the ArcGIS Data Appliance is maintained by Esri and is located at: https://doc.arcgis.com/en/data-appliance/latest/get-started/new-users-da.htm